||SOME OF THE THINGS I TEACH CHILDREN AND TEENS
- How to use their voices without straining.
- The proper method of breathing.
- I discourage singing along with CDís where a singer is singing in
a very high key because it puts a strain on younger childrenís voices if they
havenít learned how to sing properly.
- Students learn how to sing in tune, especially important when it comes
to singing a capella (without the accompaniment of any instrument).
- Many schools
require a capella singing for entrance auditions, in order to weed out the less
- I stress the importance of diction and the use of consonants and
- Attention is paid to the voice in speech to help the singing voice.
- Students learn audition techniques which can help them compete for
parts in school musicals as well as Broadway shows.
- Students learn a natural vocal technique so their performance is easy
and without tension.
- Use of the microphone for outdoor stadiums, pageants, contests,
or social functions.
- All lessons are recorded on a cassette tape so that the student can
hear the lessons back to assist in their practicing at home.
I have learned that if you present ideas to children in terms
they can understand, they gain confidence in their own ability, which is the key
to any successful learning experience.
Do you need to play the piano?
I instruct students how to play some of their exercises at the piano so
they learn how to sing better in tune, a must when you are
performing. There are many classes given in sight-singing and beginner piano and
I encourage students to learn how to read music because a good musician has an
advantage over non-musicians.